Ring Award Off 2011 - Entire performance + Trailer
"The Auction" by Karl Fiorini, New Composed Opera, Stara Zagora State Opera, Bulgaria
"Il Muro" by Enrico Travaglione, Stara Zagora State Opera, Bulgaria
Protext 5 - On time
"La Clemenza di Tito" Operosa Studio 2015
Weill: Mahagonny - Ein Songspiel & Die sieben Todsünden, Hindemith
Elena Langer: "The Lion's Face" chamber opera about the alzheimer's disease.
Morten K. Roesen won in 2011 the ring.award.off in Graz for his staging of "Gefangen in der Realität", a new interpretation of the operetta 'Die Fledermaus' by J. Strauss.
In 2019 he will stage "The Lion's Face" by Elena Langer, Stara Zagora State Opera
In 2018 he is chosen for the Semifinal for European Opera Directing Prize with a concept for Manon Lescaut by Puccini.
In 2018 he is chosen for the The Opera Creation Workshop by ENOA with La Monnaie as the sending institution
In 2018 Stage Opera Stara Zagora, He will stage 3 chamber pieces under the titles "Cabaret In The Opera": Bertolt Brecht/Kurt Weill: "Mahagonny - Ein Songspiel", "Die sieben Todsünden" and Paul Hindemith: Hin und Zurück.
In 2018 he was workshop leader "Acting for singers" at Belgrade Baroque Academy, by New Belgrade Opera, Serbia.
In 2017 he once again participated in the semifinale at the Ring Award with a concept for "Don Pasquale" by Donizetti.
In 2017 he staged two new composed chamber operas, Stara Zagora State Opera, Bulgaria :"The Auction" & "Il Muro" by Karl Fiorini & Enrico Travaglione.
Furthermore in 2017 he was chosen to participate in the final of the Nano Opera competition at the Helikon Opera in Moscow. He was the winner of one of the media prizes and by that had an interview and photosession with a Russian online Magazine:
In 2016 he was workshop leader at Rødding Højskole for theatre students: "The performative body in opera staging"
In 2015 he staged a 1 hour version of W. A. Mozart's: "La Clemenza di Tito" in Belgrade for Operosa Studio.
In 2014 he staged two new composed opera/music theatre performance:s "Et glimt...så er jeg væk igen" ("A glimpse...and then I'm gone") at Marienlyst Castle and a marching band/street theatre performance. Both in Helsingør, Denmark with Figura Ensemble.
In 2014, he was workshop leader in Belgrade for Operosa at the European Opera Days.
At Copenhagen Opera Festival in 2012 he directed a site-specific opera performance at the old sea fortress "Trekroner" in the harbor of Copenhagen.
Furthermore in 2012, he staged a new composed miniature opera in 36 Monkyes "Protext 5" project, Sofia, Bulgaria. He also worked as a Dramaturg/co-director for the children opera company SaltoMortale, in Copenhagen.
Roesen graduated in 2012 with a Master degree in Dramaturgy from Aarhus University.
In addition he has taken classes at the University of Kent and Yale University.
In 2010 and 2012 he was Regie-Hospitant (intern) for (by) Kasper Holten (previous Artistic director Covent Garden) at Theater an der Wien and at Deutsche Oper, at the productions of "Die Besessenen" and "Lohengrin".
As Assistant Director he worked for Olivia Fuchs on Verdi's "Il Trovatore" at The National Opera, Aarhus, DK (Den Jyske Opera), for Hilda Hellwig on "Høstsonaten" at The Royal Theatre, Copenhagen, for Steen Koerner on "The Nutcracker" and for Søren Iversen on "The History Boys" at Aarhus Teater, and for Simon Boberg on "De helvedes blomster, at Teatret ved Sorte Hest.
Awards and grants
- 2016 Winner of the international competition for stage directors in Stara Zagora
- 2012 Residency grant received from the Danish Arts Council in connection with my staging of a new composed mini opera in Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2011 Scholarship, Internationale Forum, Theatertreffen Berlin
- 2011 Winner of the ring.award.off in the ring.award competition
- 2014-2015 Receiving conducting lessons, private lessons by Boris Spassov, Sofia Opera and Ballet
-2013 + 2015 DJ with Opera Music at Club MAZE, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2013 Article published in the academic theatre magazine ”Peripeti” (Aarhus, DK). The article was reflecting on my work as stage director during my staging of ”Gefangen in der Realität”. - 2011 Review for New Dramaturgies Platform Sofia, Bulgaria www.dramaturgynew.net
- 2008-2009 Member of the repertoire board at Theater Katapult, Århus, Denmark
- 2008 Teaching assistant for Mads Thygesen, in Drama Analysis, Aarhus University, Denmark
- 2007-2009 Had my own theatre group LYSANDER, in Aarhus, Denmark, where I directed.
- 2003-2006 Stagehand at Esbjerg Theatre
- Kasper Holten (Royal Opera House, Covent Garden),
- Peter de Caluwe (Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie)
- Anders Beyer (Festspillene i Bergen)
- Olivia Fuchs (Freelance opera instruktør på bl.a. Royal Opera House, English National Opera mv.)
- Simon Boberg (Husets Teater)
- Giordano Bellincampi (Duisburger Philharmoniker & Pomeriggi Musicali)
You can read an interview with me about The MET live in the cinemas, and about the opera as an artform here:
CV & Repertoire
|Musical Work||Role||Jump-in ready?||Company||Year|
|Weill: Die Sieben Todsünden||Stage Director||Immediately||State Opera Stara Zagora||2018|
|Weill: Mahagonny Songspiel||Stage Director||1 week||State Opera Stara Zagora||2018|
|Hindemith: Hin Und Zurück||Stage Director||Immediately||State Opera Stara Zagora||2018|
|Mozart: La Clemenza Di Tito||Stage Director||No||Operosa||2015|
|Strauss J.: Die Fledermaus||Stage Director||Immediately||Universität Für Musik Und Darstellende Kunst, Graz||2011|